You do not need a referral for your complimentary new patient examination. Our initial visit is free because Dr. Beckwith knows that it is in everyone's best interest for treatment to start at the appropriate time and he wants you to be able to explore your orthodontic treatment options. Even if you are not sure orthodontics is right for you or if this is the best time, Dr. Beckwith welcomes the opportunity to show you what is possible and what is involved so you can make an informed decision.
We are always excited about getting to know new patients during their first visit to our office. Your initial appointment will consist of a thorough examination and a discussion of potential treatment options. This important 40 to 60 minute visit will allow us to learn and discuss with you your orthodontic treatment goals.
We know that your time is valuable. If you wish to expedite treatment or minimize the number of appointments necessary prior to the start of orthodontic treatment, many of our initial exam times also have time reserved following the exam for diagnostic records. The records include X-rays, photos, and impressions for study models, and are necessary for confirming the appropriate treatment plan. This additional appointment will last another 40 to 60 minutes. If you wish to have the option to have records taken immediately following the exam, please indicate that preference when scheduling your initial exam appointment.
During the initial examination, we will address the questions listed below that cover the basics of orthodontic treatment. As well, we will give you an opportunity and encourage you to ask any questions that you may have regarding orthodontic treatment.
- Is there a condition that orthodontics can address?
- Is treatment needed now, or should treatment be delayed until appropriate growth, tooth eruption or other factors have occurred?
- What treatment procedures will be used to correct the problem?
- Should fixed appliances, braces, or Invisalign be used?
- Do any primary (kid) teeth or permanent teeth need to be removed?
- Approximately how long will treatment take?
- What will be my financial commitment for this orthodontic investment?
- What are my payment options?
While we can answer most questions about treatment during the initial examination, we may need to schedule a consultation visit to address specific treatment areas after Dr. Beckwith has done careful analysis of the diagnostic records. In some cases, more than one treatment option is available and it is only after a thorough analysis of the records that Dr. Beckwith can make his recommendation regarding the best treatment plan option. Dr. Beckwith knows how important it is to analyze and detail each patient's specific needs because in-depth planning leads to superior orthodontic results and higher patient satisfaction.
When you are ready to leave our office at the completion of this first visit, you will have a summary of the specific orthodontic needs, an outline of the planned treatment as well as an estimated length of time for orthodontic treatment.
Please assist us by providing the following information at the time of your first visit:
- Any panoramic X-ray taken within the past 12 months; in most cases, we will call your general dentist to request the X-ray if one is available, prior to your visit. If indicated, we wil take a panoramic radiograph at this first visit.
- If you have orthodontic insurance, bring your insurance card. By providing this information at the first visit, in most cases we will be able to give you an estimate of your financial commitment including insurance. If you are able to provide us your insurance information prior to your visit, we will clarify your benefit and have the information available for you when you arrive.